Stages of Starting

 When we first began this farm-life adventure, nearly two years ago, I reconnected with an old friend & co-worker (Heidi at Sublime Gardens).
Having already been through much of what I was about to experience I found myself scribbling notes as fast as she was talking. She shared so many pearls of wisdom, anecdotes and advice but one thing she said stuck with me and surfaces in my thoughts nearly every day.

 "Everything just takes time". 

Seems simple and insignificant but when I find myself growing discontented with the process - any process - I think back to her words and collect myself. 

It really is true. Preparing our garden space took six months! I couldn't just plant my garden. There were forty-seven steps before that - not kidding. It took time.

It has been like this with most everything and I admit that I grow impatient often. Except with the (very slow) process of making bread from a wild yeast starter.  There is something so satisfying about creating and sharing something so beautiful and delicious from just a small bit of flour and water. Yes, it is a lengthy process, but it's worth it. 

I've been using my same starter, that I created, for nearly two years. It is strong, sour, resilient and works hard for me every single time.

Recently, I dehydrated some starter so I could share it more broadly. Dried starter cuts out the anxiety the recipient of fresh starter may feel as they race home to feed it, keep it warm and contemplate its health for days to come. Five tiny grams of Stella Blue dried starter becomes a bubbly, yeasty and irrepressible starter in just days. The image above shows the stages of starter; from dried to viable.

I find myself in so many starting stages these days. Everything I want to do (and it's a lot) I have to learn how to do. Learning takes time, practice, acceptance of failure, reflection and patience. It's also sharing. Sharing Stella Blue and what I have learned, just as my friend shared with me.

Happy Starting!





Comments

  1. I love this blog! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and words of wisdom. You are an inspiration!
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts