Seeds to Sow


 Our little farm-to-be is 6 1/2 acres with the majority being pasture and fruit trees. We have plotted out about a quarter of an acre to become our garden. We chose the space after watching the sun and shade patterns for the past year. It's tucked under sheets of 6 mil plastic and landscaping fabric, held down with pins and various rocks and scrap lumber from the remodel, doing its thing. 

Because Vashon Island is overrun with deer, the majority of anything we choose to grow needs a deer fence. More to come on that.

When it came to ordering seeds a few weeks back, I wanted everything. I had to reel myself in, do a reality check, and come up with a strategy. With house renovation still underway I will be gardening remotely - if that's even a thing. The process is going to take a lot of planning so I chose things that we consume a lot of and on a frequent basis. This way, we can enjoy it fresh but also dry, can, pickle, etcetera for winter.

I chose Territorial Seed Company in Cottage Grove, OR. They have an information-packed seed catalog that I read cover to cover before placing my order on-line. There are many, many fantastic seed companies out there. I imagine I will diversify as things progress but, for now, I'm set. 


Next up, getting our little greenhouse set up for max capacity. The existing watering system is a real head scratcher so stay tuned.


Comments

Popular Posts